I am two months into my Eco-awareness journey. I have learned so much just by observing my consumption habits. What do I buy? What kind of waste I make? Accordingly, I have searched for the alternatives that would be eco-friendly and help me create less waste.
What I realized that this zero (low) waste lifestyle requires preparation. Most of the non recyclable waste I have created throughout these months could have been avoided if I was prepared and had my reusable items with me. That is why I made into a habit to carry some things in my bag every time I leave the house.
1. Reusable water bottle. I drink at least 2,5l. of water a day and carrying my own bottle is a great reminder to drink more. I don’t need to buy disposable plastic bottles, which helps me to create less waste and saves me money.
2. Reusable shopping bag. I made it into a habit to have it with me all the time, because too many times I would buy something and realize I do not have my bag with me. (I would end up carrying my groceries in my arms, just because I am too stubborn to accept the plastic bag).
3. Reusable produce bags. Again, better be ready than sorry. Even if I am not planning to buy groceries I always carry it with me just in case.It barelly occupy any space in my bag and if I buy something I do not need to use the clear plastic bags.
4. Reusable mug. As a self-confessed coffee addict it s an absolute necessity for me. I carry my cute mug everywhere, just in case I need a coffee kick. In the beginning I was shy asking coffee shops to serve the coffe in my mug, but so far I have not been denied it anywhere. Even the big brands like Starbucks and Costa accept it without any issues. I feel that my mug holds the heat better and is more leak proof than a regular paper cup (by the way, they are not recyclable in UAE).
5. Travel spork and reusable straw. I carry my cutlery so I could avoid using disposable/plastic items.
6. Cloth napkins. I am happy to remember the good old days of cloth napkins. It was such a common thing back in a day, but for some reason paper napkins have taken over the market. They are not only a waste of paper but also packaged in plastic. All this so that you could blow your nose ones and through it away?! Nop… I am bringing the cloth napkins back in fashion!
Here is it. These are the things you would always find inside my bag. I would love to know what eco-friendly items do you carry? Share it with me, please!